Canvas - Embed Unlisted YouTube Video in a Canvas Page
This guide explains how to embed an unlisted YouTube video in a Canvas course.
However, if you’d like to use one of your unlisted YouTube videos in Canvas, you’ll need to copy the video’s embed code and then add it in Canvas using the RCE’s Upload/Record Media tool. Unlisted videos aren’t searchable through the Canvas YouTube app.
Once embedded in a Canvas page, other Canvas users will be able to view your video the same way regardless of what method you used to add it in Canvas.
How to Embed an Unlisted YouTube Video
Start by copying your YouTube video’s embed code:
- Navigate to the video in YouTube.
- Click the SHARE button (in the toolbar next to LIKE, DISLIKE, and SAVE).
- Click Embed in the list of Share options.
- Click the code shown below Embed Video that starts with
<iframeand ends with
<iframe>. Make sure it’s selected.
- Copy the selected text to your clipboard.
You may want to paste this code into your notes now. You’ll need it later.
Next, return to Canvas and edit the page where you’d like to add this video. Embed the video code you copied from your YouTube video:
- Click Insert in the RCE menu.
- Click Embed.
- Paste the text you copied from YouTube in the “Embed Code” field.
- Click the Submit button.
Preview the new embedded video. If you’re happy with the change to your page, click the Save button.