Canvas - End of Term Checklist
At the end of the semester, please complete the following steps in each of your Canvas courses.
- Update your course’s participation settings and “conclude” your course.
- Verify your Canvas gradebook (if you’re using graded Canvas assignments) and submit your final grades in eHive.
- Grant specific students extended course access.
- View course My Media videos.
- Export and backup your course design.
If you’re looking for next semester’s Canvas courses, scheduled classes will be automatically created in Canvas 50 days before the official class start date.
Step 1: Update Course Participation Settings
Please set an End date on your Canvas courses’ Course Details page (Settings > Course Details) if you configured a course Start date.
This step will “conclude” your Canvas courses at the correct time and makes Canvas easier to navigate for students. This blog post explains how to set dates for course participation: Canvas Course Participation Settings.
Step 2: Verify and Finalize Grades
If you’re using graded assignnments in Canvas, review your gradebook to make sure all grades are assigned, calculated correctly, and align with the UW-Superior grading scheme:
- Verify your gradebook matches the grading policies in your syllabus
- Review your grading scheme
- Include or exclude each assignment from your Gradebook
- Grade all assignments for all students. Fill in zeros for all missing required assignments.
- Remove any extra columns in your gradebook using the Assignments tool. This usually means removing duplicate assignments and assignments that were never published.
- Review how your total grades are calculated
When you’re ready, please submit final grades in eHive. Export your gradebook if you want to download and backup a CSV file of your final grades outside of Canvas.
Step 3: Extend Course Access
Do any of your students need to continue working in your Canvas course? For example, are any students taking an Incomplete grade, and still need to complete coursework?
Instructors can grant specific enrolled students longer access to a Canvas course by using the Extend Student Access tool. This tool is available on the top right of the course homepage, or at the bottom when viewing Canvas in a small browser window. The page linked below explains how to use the tool in more detail.