Topics Map > Canvas
Canvas - How to Nickname Your Canvas Courses
Nicknaming a Canvas course is a great way to distinguish it from your other courses, change any confusing course names, or label your courses in whatever way makes the most sense to you.
Nicknames are unique to your Canvas account and only impact what you see in Canvas. Course nicknames appear in the Dashboard, course Navigation Menu, course breadcrumbs, and notification emails.
Nickname a Canvas Course
To nickname a course, visit your Canvas Dashboard:
- Click the Dashboard button in the left navigation menu.
- Make sure you’re using the Card view.
If you’re using the list view, change to the Card view by clicking the Options menu button (⋮) at the top-right of the Dashboard page and then selecting Card View. You can change back to the list view after you’ve nicknamed your course.
- Look for the course tile corresponding to the course you’d like to nickname.
- Click the Options menu button (⋮) at the top-right of the course card.
- Click into the “Nickname” text entry box and enter your preferred nickname.
- Click Apply.
How do I remove a nickname or view the original name of my course?
You can change a nickname by repeating the process and entering a new nickname. Remember to click Apply to save any changes. To delete a nickname, remove any text in the Nickname field and then click Apply.
If you forget what the original name of a nicknamed course is, there’s a quick way to see it without removing your nickname. Hover your cursor over the course’s nickname and Canvas will display the course’s original name.
To learn more about nicknaming courses in Canvas and using the Canvas Dashboard, visit the links below:
- Canvas Guides: How do I use the Dashboard?
- Canvas Guides: How do I view my favorite courses in the Card View?
- Canvas Guides: How do I get help with Canvas?
You can also chat with Canvas Support 24/7 via the Canvas Help menu on the left side of your screen.